Sunday, October 6, 2019

CALIFORNIA DREAMING...LEAVING THE SOUTH


As I sit here looking out the window watching the third day of rain in Sherman Oaks, California, I appreciate the rarity of the event which makes me grateful for other rare events in my life.

We are so lucky as an African American family to have so much information. Thanks to my pack rat grandmother on both sides we have photos, stories and information that many families do not have.

I finally made the transition from the South to the West Coast. Although I am thrilled to be around my children and grandson a part of me could not help but be sad. My southern roots are now so far away. My grandson will never understand simple things (good and bad) that make us southern. It is not only the physical location but the unique “southern” saying and the way of life that color our speech.

Before my father died I begin to gather all his funny saying.  These are a collection of  saying that my father probably heard growing up. So, a many of these sayings are a part of our heritage handed down through generations like any other heirloom.

Our father shared a lot of wisdom and knowledge with us over the years.  He became well-known for some pretty colorful quotes.  With his very direct, no-nonsense, at times irreverent attitude, he taught us many lessons about life.  Many of his quotes are too colorful for inclusion here, but some of those that have made us think or laugh over the years were too precious to not share with those who share our southern way of life.

·      Manual labor deadens the brain
·      You sound like you got grits in your mouth
·      You runnin’ around here like a bull in a china shop
·      Why buy the cow if the milk is free
·      You hang around bears enough, you're going to start liking bears
·      Sleep with dogs and you end up with fleas
·      You may want horns, but you'll die butt-headed
·      He was as ugly as Ned in the first reader (There was actually a Ned in first reader books!)
·      He is so black, he is blue
·      She’s a porcupine – if she had as many things sticking out of her as she has had in her she would be a porcupine.
·      Aahhh, now that's what I like about the South (as he is drinking a glass of sweet tea or other libations)
·      I have Georgia red clay running through my blood
·      She looks like a buffarelo!

Does anyone else have other unique sayings? 

Because of the move and new job, I haven’t been able to do much research. I am hoping that will change next year There are still so many unsolved mysteries.

These are my goals as I continue the research to complete our story.

Who were William Steele’s parents?

Where did Katie (Katherine) Broyle Rainey really come from? In the bible her birth is listed as Woodstock, VA but what plantation?  Can we ever hope to find her brother Ambrose in which she honored his memory by naming Ambrose Leeviola Reid after him?

I added my DNA to the Ancestry website and actually connected with two Broyles in Culpepper, VA.  So those stories from the front porch on Liberty Street just might ring true!

Which Rainey family purchased Kate to travel south? There are two Rainey family in Eatonton.

I recently found out the Tommy Lee Rainey was married. Did he have any children?

Other Family News

It is with sadness that we lost two family members recently.

Sterling Lloyd – May 20, 2019. Sterling was husband to Katherine Steele Lloyd.

Denise Wall – July 12, 2019 – Denise was the daughter of Rosalyn Wall (Bell Family)

Our little family connection is growing. I was recently contacted by two new family members doing research. Please spread the word if anyone wants to know more about the Steele/Bell family.

Happy researching! T

No comments:

Post a Comment